Friday, December 10, 2010

Are these boards really SMART?

My impression of interactive SMART boards is still the same despite my experience with a SMART board. I believe purchasing the best quality SMART board as the best decision. If the best quality board is not used, then I believe functioning the SMART board will be distracting for the students. On the other hand, I recognize the potential projects that students would benefit from by using an interactive SMART board. For example, allowing students to present with the SMART board is an excellent way to encourage collaboration.
The following are a few more specific thoughts:

LIKES:
1- Internet access with a group of students in a classroom. (which includes an easier way to present recently created videos)
2- Capability to capture an image on the screen for later use.
3- Interactive (touch) abillity during a presentation.

DISLIKES:
1- I'd rather spend money on other classroom technology and resources. For example, a program called LOGGER PRO or a program that can build 3-D representations of molecules. These resources could also be used with a SMART Board in very helpful/interactive ways; however, I feel money would be best spent on this item before the SMART Board investment.
2- The resources for a chemistry classroom depend on the materials used in a laboratory procedure. In order to have a functioning laboratory, my students will need me to purchase chemicals, glassware, and materials needed for laboratory safety.
3- Cheaper versions of the SMART board have drastic problems. For instance, when standing infront of the projector the teacher/student will cause images on the screen to be unavailable.
4- The major purchase of SMART boards has caused teachers to force their curriculum around this device. I believe in a saying- If it ain't broke, den don't fix 'er"- I say this because I feel resources already in the schools are doing an excellent job a presenting material.


Will I use a SMART board?
-> Most definitely!

Will I like it?
-> Probably... once I find a way to effectively use the technology.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent ideas for using a SmartBoard in your classroom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way! Your WebQuest is excellent! Such a creative way to get students engaged in science!

    ReplyDelete