Saturday, October 9, 2010

Edmodo and Skype Opinion

Prior to using Edmodo's Social Networking Education System, I was in extreme doubt of its abilities and success; however, after experiencing a collaboratve story writing project with a group of delightful fifth graders, I am in complete agreeance with the system! In fact, I enjoyed my experience on this project so much that I spread news about the website to many of my favorite teachers. One of which was my older brother Mr. Randy Revels (Math Education), and I shared the website with my favorite veteran science educator Mr. John G. Mitchell Jr. Mr. Mitchell is in extreme favor of having students collaborate in the classrom, and I feel Edmodo gives the ability to collaborate with other students beyond the walls of a single classroom.
I felt the fifth graders that I collaborated with were very mature and understood how to communicate effectively, which is very imporant with collaborative work of any aspect in the world. Their efforts and successes really amazed me!
If I ever had the opportunity to collaborate with a school from a different region, then I would probably find a way to collect data for various regions of WV using the Edmodo website. Letting the students team up with students from the other regions would allow them to share data and comminucate about the topic at hand, such as daily barometer readings or stream ecology samples. The website allows the students to transfer information in a variety of ways like videos, pictures, words, and probably more that I have yet to discover! Along with this collaborative work, I would most definitely use a skype session for a discussion with the other classrooms!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you shared this resources with other teachers! I really like your idea for using these tools in science to collect and analyze real world data and share what they are learning! You could present this project at the state technology conference!

    ReplyDelete