Thursday, October 21, 2010

Website Evaluation

Hello curious critters!!!
If I were to ask my students to use the internet to research a specific chemical called dihydrogen monoxide, then this website would definitely be a hoax in my book!
When unexperienced chemists initially view the material on this organization's website the complex name of the chemical allows them to percieve this chemical as a poisonous substance. What is dihydrogen monoxide? dihydrogen monoxide is a specific nomenclature (called  the prefix system) that represents the following chemical formula for the compound:
H2O
I am nearly 100% positive that everyone over the age of 15 understands this to be good ol' water!
Before I evaulate the website any further, I want you to think.......... DOES IT EVEN MAKE SENSE THAT WATER COULD BE POSINOUS like this organization claims!

Before you donate your money to this website wanting to reasearch "dihydrogen monoxide", check out the a  few links to a website. One of them claims the following, "Yes, you should be concerned about DHMO! Although the U.S. Government and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) do not classify Dihydrogen Monoxide as a toxic or carcinogenic substance (as it does with better known chemicals such as hydrochloric acid and benzene)"  THE CREATORS OF THIS SCAM!!!!! are using acronyms and fancy government talk to convince you they are telling the truth. [Let me take a moment here to catch up on my breathing...]  Okay, so obviously the the government would not classify this chemical as toxic or carcinogenic.... BECAUSE ITS NOT!!!
I can't believe the amount of work someone put into this scam... I see every word of the lie, but only because I am educated.... The creators, which are not explictily listed, are using true facts about water, but making it appear as a harmful substance.
For example, you are asked to refer to the Material and Safety Data Sheets for dihydrogen monoxide. It says the chemical reacts violently with other substances such as sodium or postassium.... This is true. When you place these elements in water... a chemical reaction gives you a strong basic product, such as sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide. These bases are harmful to human injestion... dihydrogen monoxide is NOT!
DON'T WORRY! the sodium and potassium in your body do not have the ability to react with the water you drink in this fashion. The sodium you injest from your food is in the form sodium chloride, NaCl, When you place table salt in water the salt dissociates(dissolves), but this physical change is not lethal.

I could go on forever about this website!!!! I am so worked up at the moment! I'm going to retutn to this post in the future, so make sure you check back or contact me for questions or more knowledge!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment