Friday, November 12, 2010

The Top Ten School Experiences


After watching this fourth grade class experience, I started reflecting on my personal class experiences in K-12 classrooms. The first thought I had was how lucky it is for these young students to have this gifted, dedicated teacher! A lot of the projects I participated in happened near the end of my high school career. Prior to this only one teacher really jumped out of the comfort zone of education. Her name is Mrs. Laura Fullen. Mrs. Fullen was my 7th grade language arts and science teacher at Lumpberport Middle School in Lumberport, West Virginia. We performed a lot of hands on projects in both classes because she wanted to revolutionize learning in her classroom. In fact, Mrs. Fullen's plan was to eliminate the use of textbooks in her classroom! She used the state C.S.O.'s to create methods to not only prepare use for state testing but also improve our reading, writing, and scientific thinking skills. During high school, Mr. John Mitchell Jr introduced collaborative work sessions to his classes. These classes weren't as effective as others because I was the major contributor in EVERY project... Students lacked pride and interest in pretty much EVERYTHING in my high school.

My instructor asked this question...

  • Is your learning style addressed in this activity? How? Give me an example.



  • I'm not sure if my learning style was addressed in this activity... I did listen and watch the video. I read a few things from the students and the teacher's project description.
    Hmm.... I don't know how to repsond to this question.
    [11/18/10]-->At the time, I mistook the perspective of the question. If I were one of her students, then I believe she addressed my learning style. A multimodal learner involuntarily requires a teacher to "spit" every form of his or her knowledge out. For example, I grasp a better understanding of a concept the more I see, hear, touch, read, and write. I think she sets up each of these opportunities (for me) in many aspects of the project.

    I want to become a teacher as powerful as the one displayed in the video I have included with this posting; however, I feel that  numerous amounts of barriers will keep this as a challenge. I can talk for days about barriers and hurdles, but I would  rather talk about them as they arrive. I think every day is going to bring a barrier of some sort. The best way to open the doors for my students is to come with a never give up attitude and continue working on being an extemporanous person.

    2 comments:

    1. It's nice to know there are teachers out there who are being creative! I wanted you to consider if the TopTen project would have address your learning style if you would have been a student in her classroom. Make sense?

      ReplyDelete
    2. Yes it makes sense. At the time, I mistook the perspective of the question. If I were one of her students, then I believe she addressed my learning style. A multimodal learner involuntarily requires a teacher to "spit" every form of his or her knowledge out. For example, I grasp a better understanding of a concept the more I see, hear, touch, read, and write. I think she sets up each of these opportunities in many aspects of the project. (Is this what you were looking for, Denise?)

      ReplyDelete